Thursday, March 1, 2007

Desert Rose ( Friday ) A weekend to remember

Spent the last weekend with AIESEC, and was truly worth my time! It was the desert rose conference and I was a member of the OC (organizing committee) which gave me a chance to work with people from outside my group and I hope to do that more often. OCing with me was Mai and Reem, im really glad I worked with them, I got to know them. Mai is so easy going, her sense of humor is similar to mine. workin with her is just a breath of fresh air, and Reem well I tired to describe her in one word before be couldnt but I think I can say she is lively, she is just full of life really fun to be around and to work with (and go to the coldstore with). Friday started out with me waiting for almost an hour until our OC president came along (he didn't put up the signs which I spent hours making but I forgive him!!), headed to the tent (oh yeh incase you didn't know the conference was in the desert in a tent) As I entered the tent I was amused by the thought of technology in the desert even if I didn't show it, come on we where having power point presentations in a tent in the middle of nowhere! whats not amusing? Then it was straight off to registering the delegates. Although I was initially being assisted by sarah as the other OC member weren't there, registration was a mess, but later on got better as the other OCers came to the rescue. After all that was done the opening ceremony took place … This was memorable! We had the perfect chair for the conference! She was great! The opening ceremony got us right in to the mood for this conference. We then had a message from our Romanian friend Mada … inspiring message. The conference flow went something like this. Our facilitator would give a speech and then divide us into groups and give us cases to work on. This worked effectively! I was part of the fire flames. My group members were mariam, ahmed and ghasan! It was fun to work with them. Mariam indeed deserves to be called a fire flame. This day was mainly focused on being a change agent. I wished we were given more time for the change agent characteristics, which ones we have and which ones we need to develop. After that session we had a prayer break, me and renad spent an hour together just driving to use the bathroom, using the bathroom and coming back ,as there where no bathrooms at the camp! As soon as I got back to the tent after my 1 hour long bathroom break! I was off to help Mai arrange the lunch for the delegates and the Faci ( facilitators), where I spent a good 15 mins washing apples! Lunch was served and we sat down to eat and joined the conversation(very interesting). Once lunch was over we cleaned up and headed to outside the tents to do group activities! We all where split into to 2 groups. Sahar was the faci ( I think that's the term) for our group (the good looking people), and I honestly have to admit that we have grown a lot closer as a team! We completed all of the challenges given to us, when compare to my first NATCO where we didn't, It is a big improvement. I can honestly trust the Bahraini AIESECers and I really do feel very comfortable with them. At the end of the day I feel like I can take what I learnt from this conference and apply it. The first day of the conference was a success, It ran so smoothly and there was a bit bad time management (we started late) but we covered a lot despite that.

No comments: